Leo: the king of the jungles
Key Lion Information and Features:
- The lion is a large feline mammal.
“We can find lions, mostly in the African savannas. There are also, albeit in small quantities, some lions living in northwestern India.
- The male lion has mane and is hairy, while the female has less hair. The color of lions' coat ranges from dark yellow to brown.
- They are carnivorous animals and hunters. They feed mainly on the flesh of zebras, wildebeest, deer, buffalo, wild boar and even elephants. They can eat up to 30 pounds of meat in just one meal.
- Due to agility, females usually make the most of the game.
- Lions have an average of 5 hours of activity per day. In the rest, they spend sleeping or saving energy (resting).
- On average, an adult male lion weighs between 180 and 220 pounds. The average length of a lion can be 1.8 to 2.2 meters.
- Lions cannot run long distances, but they are fast and can reach up to 55 km / h.
- Males usually live alone or lead groups of up to 40 females.
- There are several species of lions, the best known being: South African lion, Atlas lion, Congolese lion, Ethiopian lion, Asian lion and Somali lion.
Species: P. leo
Asiatic lion (Panthera leo leo): Its current habitat is the Gir National Park region of India.